Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Today is Wednesday


So.. just an update for today.. because it is a Wednesday, and thus school ends early. So yes. Living in Belgium is an interesting experience! It's not as different coming between Canada and Belgium, as it would be to come between Mexico and here, but it's different enough.

One big difference is the 'bisoux' for me. It is the kiss on the cheek that the whole world does. The first time you see someone in the morning, the last time you see them that day, everytime you say hello when you get to the bus stop, when you say hello after you come home from school or work and when you go to bed is accompanied by a kiss. I kinda miss hugs. That's what exchange students are for.

Let me give you an example of a conversation to great someone here;
"Salut, ça va?"
"ça va, ça va, et toi?"
"Oui, ça va"
Let's just say I was a little bit confused the first few days upon arrival.

Another change for me is the downtown lunch.. I don't know how I will ever be able to go back to subway. These sandwhiches are just sooooo delicous. There must be around 10 little sandwhich shops in downtown Arlon that are overrun by students at lunch time. I must learn how to order something other than 'jambon et fromage' or 'filet americain.' The downtown also has several pasta places which are really delicious in the cold. Another thing about the downtown; it's all cobblestoned. Congratulate me, I managed to spend a whole day in heels without tripping over anything!!! Woo hoo!

I have finally tried frites (what we Canadians know as French fries) and waffles here in Belgium. The frites are delicious (well I mean, they are Fries.. how could they not.. ) and here there is a variety of sauces to choose from. Right now I am going with the Belgian classic, mayonnaise. The waffles here aren't a meal food, they are a snack food. Here they are a lot more sugary than at home, which explains why, when they asked me if I've had waffles they were disgusted to hear that I had them with syrup for supper.. I adore all the food here I think. And most of the drinks.. aside from the milk and the cold tomato soup in a cup. =D

That's all for this random post aujourd'hui!

Bisoux!

No comments:

Post a Comment