Saturday, November 7, 2009

Paris

Voici Paris!! Now, let me set the scene. We drove to Paris! Only three hours. Does that not seem very very very close. I love to be able to say that I went to Paris for the weekend. Distances here are very very different than distances at home. Above is a picture of me, my host mom, Patricia, and my host brother Davy, infront of the Notre Dame Cathedral. No I did not see the Hunchback of Notre Dame.. but I really want to watch the movie again.
Do I even need to explain what is in the background of this picture. Actually this is taken from a boat that went down the river in Paris. At first I thought that the Eiffel tower was actually rather ugly. However seen from the other angles I liked it better. At night it is supposed to be spectacular. Another note, at least three quartres of the pictures I get of Davy are in that pose. The other pictures I get are when he doesn't know I'm taking them...
This was when it really hit me that we were in Paris! The Louvre Museum. It was incredible. I didn't actually go inside but even from the outside it was amazing. There are 17 (at least) km of galleries inside this museum. When seeing this I was really like.. Wow. I am actually here. This place exists. It was incredible.
Proof that I was at the Louvre. Now, don't pronounce the 're' on the end of that word. Most words in French you don't tend to pronounce the last letter.. which kills me whenever there is an 's' on the end of the word.
A meal in Paris. It was a neccesity to go to Starbucks while in Paris. There is only one in the whole of Belgium, and that is in the airport. Seriously. It was amusing actually. We specifically sought out the Starbucks. I have been seriously missing the take out coffee places in Belgium. And the cheesecake was also a neccesity while at the starbucks. A real Parisian meal eh? The other meals that day included sushi at a Japonese restaurant and Veitnemese and Oceanic food at another restaurant. Viva French food!
I thought the Eiffel Tower (or le Tour Eiffel) was much prettier from this point of view.
The perfect picture.
It is really tall. But not taller than the CN tower. =D
Montemarche.. I think. This is a spectacular place. This cathedral is situated on top of a hill over Paris. If you make the climb you can see all of Paris spread out below you. It is incredible.

Paris. An unbeleivable city.
Finally. The French cuisine. I had a chevral chaude salad. This is warm goat cheese, honey and salad. Delicious. Je l'aime beaucoup!
And my host family. They are awesome! (that is my host brother's favorite word that I taught him) Paris is an amazing city, but in fact I prefer the cities Ottawa and Brussels to it. Strange eh? I adore the feeling in Canadian cities and Brussels is such.. a Belgian city, smaller compared to some cities but completely international due to it's position as the capital of Europe. That being said, J'adore Paris!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment